Following today’s announcement, by Ian Fellows, regarding the release of the new version of Deducer (0.4) offering a strong support for ggplot2 using a GUI plot builder, Ian also sent an e-mail where he shows how to create a rose plot using the new ggplot2 GUI included in the latest version of Deducer. After the template is made, the plot can be generated with 4 clicks of the mouse.
Here is a video tutorial (Ian published) to show how this can be used:
Ian fellows, a hard working contributer to the R community (and a cool guy), has announced today the release of Deducer (0.4) to CRAN (scheduled to update in the next day or so).
This major update also includes the release of a new plug-in package (DeducerExtras), containing additional dialogs and functionality.
Following is the e-mail he sent out with all the details and demo videos.
The new version has a lot of cool new features, like advanced data import, integration with Google docs, converting variables from numeric to factor to dates and vice versa, and a lot of new geom’s. Some of which you can watch in his new video demo of the application:
My wife is a big lover of dance (especially Dance In Israel), and while reading through the NYtimes article: “To Impress, Tufts Prospects Turn to YouTube“, she found me a pearl: A woman performing interpretive dances for math/statistical plots. That includes small dance for: scatter plots, boxplots, barplots and a few others. Enjoy:
Duncan Murdoch just posted a youtube video presenting an animation clip of a 3d rgl object.
Duncan even went further and wrote an explanation on how he made the video:
here are the steps I used:
1. Design a shape to be displayed, and then play with the animation functions to make it change over time. Use play3d to do it live in R, movie3d to write the individual frames of the movie to .png files.
2. Use the ffmpeg package (not an R package, a separate project at http://ffmpeg.org) to convert the .png files to an .mp4 file. The individual frames totalled about 1 GB; the compressed movie is about 45 MB.
3. Upload to Youtube. I’m not a musician, so I had to use one of their licensed background tracks, I couldn’t write my own. I spent a lot of time picking one and then adjusting the timing of the video to compensate. Each render/upload cycle at full resolution took about an hour and a half. It’s a lot faster to render in a smaller window with fewer frames per second, but it’s still tedious. It’s easier to synchronize if you actually have a copy of the music locally, but Youtube doesn’t let you download their music. So the timing isn’t perfect, but it’s good enough for me!
Wonderful work Duncan, thanks for sharing!
Statistics with R, and open source stuff (software, data, community)